Our friendly, child and family-focused Children and Young People’s Audiology Centre (CYPAC), provides innovative hearing services for children of all ages.
As one of the largest services in the country, our specialist team undertakes about 8,000 appointments a year. Our close links with community, acute paediatric medical services, and local educational services, across a wide area of southeast London give us the opportunity to focus our support for patients.
Our innovative hearing service includes:
- state-of-the-art equipment and facilities in a friendly environment
- child friendly waiting room with wide selection of toys and iPads to make visiting the department fun for children and young people
- specialised children’s audiological booth
- appointments arranged at a date and time to suit you.
What can I expect at my appointment?
- the appointment will take between 45 and 60 minutes for pre-school and school-age children and 90 to 120 minutes for infant assessments (0-6 months).
- our audiologists will explain the tests we carry out to find out about your child’s hearing. The kind of tests we do will depend on your child’s age and development stage.
- we may use headphones to find out more about your child’s ears, so it would be helpful if you practise using headphones at home before your appointment with us.
- infants will be tested while under natural sleeping, sedation or general anaesthetic, specific tips and guidance will be given to parents/carer prior to the appointment.
- pre-school children require an appointment with two trained audiologists to perform gentle, age-appropriate behavioural testing.
- a single trained audiologist will see school-age children. This is reflected in the price structure.
After your appointment
We will discuss the results of your appointment on the day, and our audiologists will be happy to answer your questions.
You’ll receive a written report after the appointment to take home with you.