Our world-renowned team of cardiologists offers you an expert cardiology service in
state-of-the-art facilities. We’re a world leader in developing and applying innovative treatments for heart conditions. As a specialist cardiovascular centre, we treat heart disease using minimally invasive techniques and St Thomas’ is one of the largest units in the country.
As one of the UK’s top teaching hospitals, Guy’s and St Thomas’ has a worldwide reputation for cardiology services. Its famed clinical experts work across a wide range of specialties.
With six cardiac catheterisation laboratories, access to intensive care facilities and the latest diagnostic imaging, you’ll receive outstanding care. Our range of cardiology services includes outpatient diagnostic investigations, as well as invasive procedures.
Our expertise includes:
- UK’s largest transcatheter structural intervention programme
- advanced cardiac electrophysiology service, with an XMR interventional laboratory performing both simple and complex electrophysiology procedures and pacemaker implantations and extractions
- advanced cardiac imaging (cardiac MRI, cardiac CT, nuclear cardiology and advanced echocardiography)
- one of the largest inherited cardiac conditions, heart failure and adult congenital heart disease services in the UK.
In 2017, the unit performed approximately:
- 2,300 angiograms and 900 angioplasties
- 100 electrophysiology studies and 600 ablation procedures
- 850 cardiac device (pacemaker, implantable cardiac defibrillators (ICD), cardiac resynchronisation therapy (CRT)) implantations, changes and extractions
- 200 interventional valve and transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI) procedures
- 250 cardioversion procedures
- 180 heart monitor/loop recorder implantations and extractions
- 30,000 non-invasive tests, including 23,000 echocardiograms, 4,500 ambulatory ECGs, 1,000 exercise tests and 1,000 blood pressure monitors.
As a centre of excellence, St Thomas’ is now a world leader in TAVI and keen to continue its pioneering work in developing new cardiac treatments. The unit is proud of its expertise in a range of services including adult congenital heart disease, arrhythmia, heart failure, inherited cardiac conditions, interventional cardiology, cardiac imaging, structural intervention and valve disease.
The cardiovascular unit is so renowned that it also runs case demonstrations of its TAVI procedures which are performed in front of a live audience and streamed internationally.