Our children’s endocrinology service sees children with problems of the endocrine system – the network of glands within the body which produce hormones. These hormones affect growth and many other aspects of metabolism and the way the body works. The most common conditions are thyroid conditions, growth and puberty problems. We also see children with metabolic bone disorders.
We treat children with a wide range of conditions including:
- short and tall stature
- early or delayed puberty
- thyroid conditions (underactive- hyperactive thyroid)
- pituitary hormone deficiencies
- congenital adrenal hyperplasia and other adrenal disorders
- bone disorders of calcium and phosphate metabolism, including VitaminD deficiency and rickets
- paediatric osteoporosis
In the recently renovated day unit a number of dynamic function tests can be performed, including:
- growth hormone stimulation tests
- LHRH test
- short synacthen test
- oral glucose tolerance test
- water deprivation test
- Dexamethasone suppression tests
- 3 day, 3 week HCG tests
- blood, urine biochemistry and imaging where necessary
- Zoledronic acid infusions for patients with osteoporosis.
All endocrine blood and urine tests, as well as dynamic function tests can be performed at the Evelina London. The service now uses a latest technology DEXA Lunar machine that can also offer VFA views of the spine.
We have radiological support and can arrange imaging for bone age, ultrasound and MRI scans where required.
Our paediatric endocrinologists include: