Find a consultant
Mr Alistair Laidlaw
MBBS MD FRCOphth
Consultant vitreo retinal surgeon
Mr Alistair Laidlaw is consultant vitreo retinal surgeon at St Thomas’ Hospital.
Alistair specialises in diseases of the retina, macula and vitreous. These include eye complications of diabetes (diabetic retinopathy, proliferative diabetic retinopathy and maculopathy), macular holes, retinal detachments, epiretinal membranes and floaters.
Cataract surgery is an inherent part of the treatment of many of these conditions.
Alistair has introduced electronic medical records and improved processes during his time at the eye department. He was honorary secretary and then president of the UK and Ireland Vitreo Retinal Society (2010-2016).
He is an honorary consultant at St Luke’s Hospital for the Clergy, London.
Outside work, Alistair enjoys participating in most sports, but particularly cycling, swimming, skiing and sailing.
Surgery for diabetic macular oedema, macular structure following retinal detachment surgery and clinical vision measurement.
- 1980-1985: Newcastle University Medical School
- 1985-1989: Newcastle: House officer and senior house officer (SHO)
- 1987: Anatomy demonstrator
- 1989-1995: Bristol Eye Hospital, SHO and registrar training, research lecturer leading to MD higher degree
- 1995-1998: Moorfields Eye Hospital, senior registrar and vitreo retinal fellow
- 1998-present day: St Thomas’ Hospital and Maidstone Hospital: Consultant vitreo retinal surgeon