Dr Jude A. Oben
BM,BCh(Oxon), PhD, FRCP, FRCPE, AGAF
Consultant Gastroenterologist and Hepatologist
Specialises in gastroenterology and hepatology including obesity and related liver disease.
Dr Jude A. Oben is an accomplished clinician scientist and leading consultant in gastroenterology and hepatology at Guy’s and St Thomas’ Hospital.
He qualified from University of College London, department of pharmacology in 1988 before completing his pre-clinical medicine training at the University College London medical school, 1991. He received his bachelors of medicine from University of Oxford Medical School, and St John’s College, 1994 and went on to complete his senior house office training at the Royal Post-Graduate medical School, London and St Thomas’ Hospital.
In 2001 he completed his post doctoral research in autonomic nervous system and liver repair at John Hopkins University Medical School, Baltimore, USA in 2003. He completed his specialist registrar training at the Royal London Hospital in 2005 and was named a consultant in gastroenterology and hepatology at Guy’s and St Thomas’ Hospital in 2005.
He is a Reader in experimental hepatology at King’s College London and an associate professor in hepatology at University College London, Institute for Liver and Digestive Health. He has a PhD in immunopharmacology from UCL and studied medicine at Oxford and Stanford University, USA.
- Liver disease.
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS).
- Crohn’s disease.
- Hepatology (liver medicine).
- Metabolic Endoscopy (Intra-gastric balloon to aid weight loss).
- Therapeutic and diagnostic endoscopy
Dr Jude Oben has a high media profile through his research and advocacy the ‘Obesity Action Campaign!’ launched at the Parliamentary House of Lords, to raise political and public awareness of obesity and health consequences. He is an invited member of the All Party Parliamentary Advisory Group on childhood obesity.
Jude is passionate about continued education and improving current practices. His highly productive and cited research (found in his full list of publications below, i10-Index = 51) focuses on the most common liver disease, non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH), specifically mechanisms of liver fibrosis, trans-generational transmission of Obesity and NASH.
View Jude’s full list of publications here.
Membership of professional bodies
- Fellow of the American Gastroenterological Association.
- American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases.
- American Gastroenterological Association.
- American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy.
- British Society of Gastroenterology.
- British Association for the Study of the Liver.
- European Association for the Study of the Liver.
- The Obesity Society.
- Fellowship Royal College of Physicians (London).
- Fellowship Royal College of Physicians (Edinburgh).
- Royal Society of Medicine (UK).
St Thomas’ hospital.