Specialises in complex hand reconstruction, general plastic surgery and cosmetic surgery.
Mr Matthew James is a consultant reconstructive plastic surgeon working within the Guy’s and St Thomas’s NHS Trust.
He received his Medicine and Surgery Bachelor’s from Birmingham University in 1992. He completed the Sydney Hand Fellowship in the Sydney Hand Unit in 2004, and received his FRCS and FRCS Plast in 2004 from the Royal College of Surgeons. He also completed the McIndoe Aesthetic Surgery Fellowship at the McIndoe Surgical Centre in 2006.
He currently holds the position of senior plastic and reconstructive surgeon within this Trust.
He has developed his success through intense training around the world including London, Cambridge, Adelaide, Sydney and the renowned McIndoe Surgery Centre.
- Hand and wrist injuries.
- Body contouring.
- Skin lesions including skin cancer.
- Scar revision.
- Hand & wrist reconstruction.
- Dupuytren’s contracture/ carpal tunnel.
- Minor skin surgery including skin cancer excision & scar revision.
- Abdominoplasty including liposuction.
- Breast augmentation/reduction/mastopexy.
- Facelift including neck lift and brow lift.
- Eyelid surgery (blepharoplasty).
- Gynaecomastia (male breast reduction).
Special/ research interests
Mr Matthew James is highly specialised in allograft transplantation and biostimulation laser therapy, minimally invasive surgery, and complex trauma reconstruction.
He is also highly competent in all other cosmetic and aesthetic surgery including minor skin surgery procedures, including skin cancer excision and scar revision.
Additionally, he is an active researcher with numerous publications and books to his name including being the senior author of the paper on ‘Venous flaps for coverage of traumatic soft tissue defects of the hand’ and the senior author for the paper ‘Bi-plane breast augmentation: a case series supporting its use and benefits.’
He also engages in teaching and teaches fellow surgeons in cosmetic surgery and hand and wrist reconstruction at the Royal College of Surgeons.
Memberships of professional bodies
- British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons.
- British Association of Hand Surgeons.
- Medical Protection Society.
- General Medical Council.
St Thomas’ Hospital.