A consultant in the UK since 2001, Mr Luis Amaya is now a consultant ophthalmic surgeon at St Thomas’ Hospital. He is in charge of all the paediatric ophthalmic patients who are admitted to the Evelina London Children’s Hospital.
Luis sub-specialised in children’s ophthalmology and strabismus at Great Ormond Street Hospital and then practised as a consultant in South America for 10 years where he was the head of the Department of Ophthalmology at a teaching children’s hospital. He was appointed associate professor of two universities there.
His main speciality is children’s ophthalmology and strabismus and phacoemulsification surgery. He has broad experience in ocular trauma and retinopathy of prematurity.
Luis has also published important papers and contributed to outstanding medical books, including chapters for David Taylor’s ‘Paediatric Ophthalmology’.
Children’s ophthalmology in general, retinopathy of prematurity, strabismus in children and adjustable sutures in adult strabismus, children’s cataracts, children’s ocular trauma.
- Surgical correction of squint
- Eyelid surgery
- 1983: Qualified
- Trained in Columbia and has a professorship from Rosario University in Bogota
Membership of professional bodies
- Royal College of Ophthalmology
- American Association of Paediatric Ophthalmology & Strabismus
- European Paediatric Ophthalmology Society
- Pan-American Association of Ophthalmology