Dr Nabeel Sheikh
BSc (Hons), MB BS, MRCP, PhD, FESC
Dr Nabeel Sheikh is a consultant cardiologist and honorary senior clinical lecturer who has been practicing at Guy’s and St Thomas’ since 2017. Nabeel’s clinical interests include inherited cardiac conditions, sports cardiology and imaging and his areas of expertise are in heart muscle diseases, sudden death in young patients, and athlete’s heart.
Research interests include hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and the impact of ethnicity on disease expression, novel methods of differentiating physiological left ventricular hypertrophy (athlete’s heart) from pathology (hypertrophic cardiomyopathy) and differentiation of hypertensive heart disease from hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, particularly in the African/Afro-Caribbean population.
He has a specialist interest in genetics of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and inherited cardiac conditions and factors which modify disease expression.
- Diagnosis, treatment, and long-term management of all inherited cardiac conditions including cardiomyopathies and ion channel disorders
- Assessment and treatment of athletes with cardiac symptoms and cardiac conditions
- Treatment of patients with heart failure
- General cardiology including assessment and management of chest pain, breathlessness, palpitation and syncope
- Assessment and management of coronary artery disease, hypertension and arrhythmias
Nabeel trained at University College London where he qualified with a BSc first class honours in neuroscience alongside his medical degree in 2002. He undertook his junior doctor training in London and Nottingham, gaining membership of the Royal College of Physicians in 2006.
During his subsequent specialist training in cardiology, Nabeel completed a PhD on the effects of ethnicity on the expression of cardiomyopathies and athlete’s heart at the University of London, from which he published work which has informed the new International ECG screening recommendations published in 2017.
Membership of professional bodies
- General Medical Council (GMC)
- Association for Inherited Cardiac Conditions (AICC)
- British Society of Echocardiography (BSE)
- European Society of Cardiology (ESC)
- European Association of Preventive Cardiology (EAPC)