Dr Christina Wei
MBChB, DCH, MSc, FRCPCH, MD, PGCM
Consultant in paediatric endocrinology and diabetes
Dr Christina Wei is a consultant in paediatric endocrinology and diabetes, who specialises in childhood endocrine (“hormone”) problems such as growth, puberty, thyroid, adrenal, salt and water balance, and diabetes.
Christina joined the paediatric endocrine and diabetes team at the Evelina London Children’s Hospital in January 2021, having previously worked as a consultant paediatric endocrinologist and honorary senior lecturer at St George’s University Hospital. She leads the paediatric neuroendocrine screening clinics, working closely with the adult endocrine team at the young adult endocrine clinic and offers outreach clinics to district hospitals outside London.
Christina is also a qualified medical educator with the certificate of medical education, and is involved in undergraduate and postgraduate teaching.
In terms of clinical research, Christina has a particular interest in the endocrine late effects of childhood cancer survivors. Her doctoral thesis was on the mechanism of impaired glucose tolerance and diabetes in childhood cancer survivors treated with bone marrow transplantation. She has numerous publications in this area and has been a representative in international guideline groups in this area.
In addition, she has also had numerous publications in peer review journals on the subjects of diabetes, obesity and puberty.
- Disorders of growth (short stature, tall stature, growth hormone deficiency)
- Disorders of puberty (early or delayed puberty, menstrual problems in adolescent females)
- Thyroid disease (hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism)
- Adrenal problems (addison, congenital adrenal hyperplasia and secondary cortisol deficiency)
- Diabetes insipidus
- Multiple hormone deficiencies
- Diabetes mellitus (type 1,2, monogenic)
- Endocrine problems associated with genetic disorders (e.g. turner syndrome, klinefelter syndrome, noonan syndrome, prader-willi syndrome)
- Screening of endocrine complications related to genetically inherited forms of neuroendocrine tumours
Tests and investigations
- Growth hormone stimulation tests
- LHRH test
- Short synacthen test
- Oral glucose tolerance test
- Water deprivation test
- Fast provocation test
2011-14: Doctoral research and Doctor of medicine, University of Bristol
2007-10: RCPCH Grid Training in paediatric endocrinology, Bristol Royal Hospital for Children
2001-06: Paediatric training, South West of England (Bristol, Somerset & Exeter) and Wales (Cardiff)
2000: Primary medical qualifications, University of Birmingham
Membership of professional bodies
- General Medical Council (GMC)
- UK GMC (Full) No:4695859
- UK GMC specialist register: Paediatrics (Diabetes & Endocrinology)
- European Society of Paediatric Endocrinology
- British Society of Paediatric Endocrinology and Diabetes
- Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health