Exceptional care and safety in state-of-the-art facilities
At Guy’s and St Thomas’, we maintain our reputation for excellence by staying continuously focused on improvement in quality of care. Patient safety is of paramount importance to us. We mitigate against risks such as infection with focus on hygiene built into the environment and used in every care procedure.
As a private patient, you’ll experience consultant-led care in comfort and privacy – safe in the knowledge that you’re in one of UK’s most comprehensive, safest and highly regarded NHS teaching hospitals, equipped to deal with every possible eventuality.
Guy’s and St Thomas’ is registered with the Care Quality Commission (CQC), which aims to ensure that hospitals provide safe and high-quality care to patients. The CQC gave us a ‘good’ overall, with some services rated ‘outstanding’.
The services provided for children and young people at Evelina London Children’s Hospital and in the Emergency Department at St Thomas’ were both rated ‘outstanding’.
Up-to-date information on our quality and safety standards is available on the Guy’s and St Thomas’ website.
Infection control and prevention
We have strict measures in place to ensure that you are protected to the best of our ability. These include mandatory training in infection prevention and control for all our staff. Cleaning practices are monitored regularly and all areas audited to ensure that high standards are maintained and guidelines and policies are current and being adhered to.
Alcohol sanitiser is available throughout the hospital and all staff and visitors are encouraged to use this on entry and exit to all departments.
You may need to be nursed with isolation precautions because of a known or newly acquired infection. This will involve staff, and on occasion visitors, being required to take part in additional precautions when entering your room. Nursing staff will discuss this with you and your visitors and can answer any questions you may have.
Our services are open and safe to attend.
For the latest government guidance related to COVID-19 please visit GOV.UK and for the latest NHS guidance please visit NHS 111.
Safety measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19 and other infections are in place at our hospitals and community sites.
The steps we take include:
- following national guidance for infection prevention
- training our staff and volunteers in how to limit the spread of infection
- asking some people coming in for surgery to have a COVID-19 test
- deep cleaning our theatres, equipment and wards regularly
- having the right levels of staff and equipment
Vulnerable patient areas
There are areas of our hospitals where we might have extra measures in place to keep vulnerable patients safe. This might include physical distancing.
Please look out for signs and follow the guidance in these areas to keep our patients safe.
The care and safety of our patients and colleagues is our top priority. We are reviewing the situation constantly and how best to deliver private care in a safe environment.
Compliance with CMA Order 2014
In October 2014, the Competition and Markets Authority (the “CMA”) published the Private Healthcare Market Investigation Order 2014 (the “Order”) following its investigation into the private healthcare industry. The Order imposed requirements on private hospital operators to disclose certain information in relation to referring clinicians (as defined by the Order) for the benefit of patients. Full details about the investigation and the Order can be found on the CMA web site. The information provided below by Guy’s and St Thomas’ Private Healthcare is required by the Order.
Guy’s and St Thomas’ Private Healthcare provides the following services to consultants and/or referring clinicians:
Higher value services
The services provided at Guy’s and St Thomas’ Private Healthcare to referring clinicians and the amounts charged for those services are set out below:
Low value services
The following ‘low-value’ services are also provided to referring clinicians with practising privileges at Guy’s and St Thomas’ Private Healthcare.
- General services to ensure clinical safety (eg in-house training, safe guarding, chaperones)
- Use of treatment room and onsite nursing support
- Operational services to ensure a smooth patient pathway such as patient bookings/admissions, administrative and billing services
- Secretarial and administrative support to consultants as part of general support services
- General marketing support and promotion including consultant directories, website profiles, marketing materials and brochures, GP educational events with a consultant speaker
- Basic workplace amenities such as tea/coffee, stationery free of charge as they are available to staff and persons at the facility.