Compliance with CMA Order 2014
In October 2014, the Competition and Markets Authority (the “CMA”) published the Private Healthcare Market Investigation Order 2014 (the “Order”) following its investigation into the private healthcare industry. The Order imposed requirements on private hospital operators to disclose certain information in relation to referring clinicians (as defined by the Order) for the benefit of patients. Full details about the investigation and the Order can be found on the CMA web site. The information provided below by Guy’s and St Thomas’ Private Healthcare is required by the Order.
Guy’s and St Thomas’ Private Healthcare provides the following services to consultants and/or referring clinicians:
Higher value services
The services provided at Guy’s and St Thomas’ Private Healthcare to referring clinicians and the amounts charged for those services are set out below:
- Use of Westminster Bridge Consulting Rooms: £25 per hour
- Evelina London Children’s Hospital: £30 per appointment
Low value services
The following ‘low-value’ services are also provided to referring clinicians with practising privileges at Guy’s and St Thomas’ Private Healthcare.
- General services to ensure clinical safety (eg in-house training, safe guarding, chaperones)
- Use of treatment room and onsite nursing support
- Operational services to ensure a smooth patient pathway such as patient bookings/admissions, administrative and billing services
- Secretarial and administrative support to consultants as part of general support services
- General marketing support and promotion including consultant directories, website profiles, marketing materials and brochures, GP educational events with a consultant speaker
- Basic workplace amenities such as tea/coffee, stationery free of charge as they are available to staff and persons at the facility.