Find a consultant
Professor Shakeel Ahmed Qureshi
Consultant paediatric cardiologist
Professor Qureshi’s achievements include interventions in congenital heart disease and co-invention of a balloon used widely for interventions (Tyshak balloon). He has been involved in many studies evaluating devices and interventional techniques and PI for CE study currently on the percutaneous pulmonary (Venus) valve.
He is co-director of Congenital & Structural Interventions’ (CSI) annual course in Frankfurt, Germany. The BBC documentary (QED) in 1992 showed one of his interventional procedures and another covered his relief efforts in the earthquake in Pakistan, 2005.
Shakeel has been a CQC inspector and adviser since 2015. Among his awards are the PICS USA Outstanding Achievement award in Chicago 2004. The same year, he received one of the highest civilian awards (Sitara-e-Imtiaz) from the Pakistan government for helping to develop paediatric cardiology there.
He is Chairman of the Medical Board of Chain of Hope (UK charity) and undertakes missions in developing countries.
As well as travelling and teaching interventions all over the world, he also enjoys golf and cricket.
Interventional techniques in paediatric and adult congenital heart disease interventions, evaluating new techniques as well as safety and outcomes.
- All variety of interventions in paediatric and adult congenital cardiology, including ballooning of valves and arteries
- Device closure of ASDs, VSDs, PDAs
- Device closures in other complex defects as well as some adult structural interventions
- Hybrid interventions in paediatric and adult cardiology
1976: MBChB, University of Manchester
1979: MRCP, Royal College of Physicians, London
1995: FRCP, Royal College of Physicians, London
Training in paediatric cardiology at Harefield, Guy’s and Royal Liverpool Children’s Hospitals
Membership of professional bodies
- British Cardiac Society
- British Paediatric Cardiac Association (Founder Honorary Secretary 1991-1993)
- British Paediatric Association
- British Medical Association
- Association of European Paediatric Cardiologists (Honorary Secretary of Working Group in Interventional Paediatric Cardiology, 1994-1996)
- Scientific Secretary AEPC (Association of European Paediatric Cardiology) 2003-2007
- Society of Cardiac Angiography & Interventions (SCAI) (2009 – to present)
- President of British Congenital Cardiac Association 2009-2012
- President of Association of European Paediatric Cardiologists (2010-2013)
|Language(s)||English, Punjabi (conversational), Urdu|