Mr Vijay Wagh
MD (Ophthalmology), FRCS, MRCOphth, FRCOphth, CertLASER
Mr Vijay Wagh is a consultant ophthalmologist and lead clinician for eye emergency services at Guy’s and St Thomas’. Vijay trained in ophthalmology in London, including Moorfields Eye Hospital before undertaking a fellowship at St Thomas’.
Vijay’s particular expertise is modern phako-emulsification cataract surgery including implantation of lens implants to improve astigmatism. His special interests include oculoplastic surgery of the eyelids and surrounding structures including surgery of the tear drainage system. He also has experience in managing blepharitis and dry eyes.
Vijay is actively involved in teaching, training and research and has published in international journals and delivered several lectures both nationally and internationally. His research interests include cataract, oculoplastics and external eye disease. Vijay has received a number of awards including:
- best paper presentation in ESCRS, Lisbon
- first prize in Ophthalmic Quiz in D Ophthalmic Society Annual Conference
- second prize in Ophthalmic Quiz, AI Ophthalmic Conference
- first prize in Ophthalmic Quiz, XV Annual Oculoplastics conference.
Vijay enjoys swimming, badminton and cricket.
- Cataract surgery: micro incision cataract surgery in complex cases, phacoemulsification, complex cataract surgery, YAG LASER capsulotomy for after cataract
- Oculoplastic and aesthetic surgery, eyelid surgery, lacrimal (tear duct) surgery for watery eyes, minor plastic surgery procedures (removal of moles, skin tags, eyelid lesions), eye socket surgery
- External eye disease: dry eye and Sjogren’s syndrome, skin-related ocular surface problems, ocular rosacea, allergic eye disease, pterygium
- Higher specialist ophthalmic surgical training, Moorfields Eye Hospital, London and Barts and Royal London Hospital
- Further super specialisation in cataract, anterior segment and oculoplastics surgeries at Guy’s and St Thomas’ in London
Additional training: Diploma in Refractive, Corneal and Cataract Surgery. Miguel Hernández University, Spain
- 2003: MD (Ophthalmology) AIIMS
- 2006: FRCS (Ophthalmology) Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons
- 2006: MRCOphth, Royal College of Ophthalmologist, London
- 2014: FRCOphth Royal College of Ophthalmologist, London
- 2019: CertLASER Royal College of Ophthalmologist, London
Membership of professional bodies
- Royal College of Ophthalmologist, London, UK
- Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow, UK
- Moorfields Alumni Association, London, UK
- National Academy of Medical Sciences