Mr Vijay Wagh
MBBS, MD, DNB, FRCS, MRCOphth, FRCOphth, CertLASER
Mr Vijay Wagh is a consultant ophthalmologist based at the prestigious Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust. His particular expertise is modern LASER and phako-emulsification cataract surgery. This includes implantation of multifocal and toric intraocular lens implants to improve astigmatism and presbyopia which means spectacle independence both for distance and near for many patients.
Vijay is actively involved in medical education and is currently on the education committee of Royal College of Ophthalmologists, UK. He is an examiner and on the faculty for the Royal College of Ophthalmologists microsurgical skills course.
Vijay provides clinical care for all emergency and general ophthalmic conditions and specialises in cataract surgery, oculoplastics and external eye diseases.
Cosmetic oculoplastic surgery of the eyelids and surrounding structures including surgery of the tear drainage system. He also has experience in managing blepharitis and dry eyes with the most up to date treatments available.
- Cataract Surgery: micro incision cataract surgery in complex cases, phacoemulsification, complex cataract surgery, toric and multifocal lens implants to correct astigmatism and near vision. YAG LASER Capsulotomy
- Oculoplastic and aesthetic surgery, eyelid surgery, lacrimal (tear duct) surgery for watery eyes, minor plastic surgery procedures such as the removal of moles & skin tags and eyelid lesions, eye socket surgery
- External eye disease: dry eye and Sjogren’s syndrome, skin-related ocular surface problems: ocular rosacea, allergic eye disease, pterygium
Vijay is a UK trained eye surgeon (ophthalmologist) working within London/Surrey/Croydon. During his medical education, he was selected for many prestigious awards and a 3-year MD program. Vijay trained in Ophthalmology in London, including Moorfields Eye Hospital before undertaking a fellowship in St Thomas’ Hospital. During this period, he was actively involved in teaching medical students. His work involved pioneering research into long term outcome in laser eye surgery and corneal crosslinking.
Membership of professional bodies
- Royal College of Ophthalmologists, London, UK
- European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow
- Moorfields Alumni Association, London, UK