Mr Scott Robbie is a consultant ophthalmic surgeon who specialises in cornea, cataract and refractive surgery. With over 20 years’ experience in ophthalmology, Scott has published over 40 peer-reviewed publications and performed in excess of 3,000 procedures.
Scott trained at Moorfields Eye Hospital NHS Foundation Trust where he completed two years of advanced corneal surgical training and a further two years as a consultant before joining the team at St Thomas’ in 2017. Scott has also acted as visiting surgeon at the department of cornea, external diseases and refractive surgery, University of Iowa.
As a prestigious National Institute for Health Research clinical lecturer, he developed a gene therapy approach to treating corneal diseases. Scott also has a PhD in genetics, from University College London Institute of Ophthalmology, where he was involved in the first gene therapy trial for an eye condition and holds research associate and honorary lecturer positions.
Scott maintains a broad research interest that encompasses novel therapeutics and the development of intraocular lens technologies. He has spoken at numerous national and international meetings, acareer highlight for him was being selected as one of the eye surgeons responsible for providing care to athletes at the London 2012 Olympic Games.
Scott is part of a team developing new intraocular lenses alongside world-renowned optical physicists. He also undertakes collaborative work with UCL, GlaxoSmithKline and the University of Bristol on new treatments for ocular neovascularisation and inflammation.
- Cataract surgery – including ZEISS and PanOptix trifocal and Symfony extended depth of focus intraocular lens implantation
- Refractive lens exchange
- Laser-assisted cataract surgery
- Phakic intraocular lenses (pIOLs/intraocular contact lens)
- Laser sight correction (LASIK/LASEK/PTK)
- Corneal graft – including the latest lamellar (layer-specific) surgery for keratoconus, Fuch’s endothelial dystrophy and other indications
- Corneal abrasions and erosions
- Corneal cross-linking
- Blepharitis and dry eye
Certificate of Laser Refractive Surgery, Royal College of Ophthalmologists
Post graduate diploma in cataract and refractive surgery, University of Ulster
FRCOphth, Fellow of The Royal College of Ophthalmologists
PhD Genetics, Institute of Ophthalmology UCL
Core MBA, ESCP Europe
BSc. Experimental Pathology, University of London
Qualified United Medical and Dental Schools, Guy’s and St. Thomas’ Hospitals
Membership of professional bodies
- The Royal College of Ophthalmologists (RCO)
- UK and Ireland Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons (UKISCRS)
- European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons (ESCRS)
- Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO)
- American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO)