Mr Saurabh Goyal
MBBS, MS, DNB, FRCS, FRCOphth
Consultant eye (ophthalmic) surgeon
Mr Saurabh Goyal is a consultant eye surgeon in London and Kent, based at St. Thomas’ Hospital, London and an honorary lecturer at King’s College London.
He is a specialist in glaucoma and cataract surgery with expertise in all aspects of glaucoma treatment including lasers and surgery. He also provides a bespoke cataract surgery service with premium lenses including multifocal and toric IOLs.
With over 20 years of experience in ophthalmology, Saurabh is passionate about the care he provides to his patients. He believes that the vast majority of glaucoma related blindness can be prevented by early diagnosis and effective management.
Saurabh is an expert glaucoma trainer. He is regularly involved in teaching and training other ophthalmologists and clinicians in the diagnosis and management of glaucoma.
He jointly runs a trabeculectomy surgery wetlab at the Alcon training centre to teach young ophthalmologists about glaucoma surgery. He also teaches at the annual St. Thomas’ laser course. Saurabh regularly lectures and examines optometry students at the City University, London in the diagnosis and management of glaucoma.
Saurabh has over a dozen publications in national and international publications, more than 30 presentations in national and international conferences and has written two book chapters on glaucoma surgery and corneal & external eye diseases.
Saurabh’s research interests include early detection of glaucoma, laser and surgery in glaucoma, and he is the principle investigator in a number of glaucoma research studies.
He is an invited reviewer for the Journal of Glaucoma, British Journal of Ophthalmology and Journal of Ophthalmology.
- Cataract surgery: phakoemulsification +IOL, multifocal IOLs, Toric IOLs for astigmatism
- Glaucoma surgery: trabeculectomy with antimetabolites, tube/shunt surgery, needling Phako ECP, istent implant, xen implant, KDB internal trabeculectomy
- Lasers: iridotomy, iridoplasty, SLT, ECP laser, cyclodiode, YAG capsulotomy
- General: chalazion, pterygium, minor lid conditions, blepharitis
- 1996: Ophthalmology in India and the UK
- Two glaucoma clinical fellowships at Moorfields Eye Hospital, London and at St. Thomas’/King’s College Hospital, London
- Corneal and anterior segment fellowship training at St. George’s and Moorfields Eye Hospital, London
- South Thames surgical training programme in ophthalmology and Higher Specialist Training in London and Birmingham
Membership of professional bodies
- Fellow of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists, London
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow
- Specialist Registration General Medical Council (GMC)
- Member (glaucoma section) of Association of Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO), USA
- Member of the United Kingdom and Ireland Cataract and Refractive Surgery Society (UKISCRS)
- Member of the European Society for Cataract and Refractive Surgery (ESCRS)
- Member of the United Kingdom and Eire Glaucoma Society (UKEGS)
- Member of the All India Ophthalmological Society (AIOS)
- Member of Association of Ophthalmologists Specialist Indemnity Scheme (AOOSIS)
- Member of the British Medical Association (BMA)