Mr Nikolaos Karydis is a consultant transplant surgeon in one of the largest units in the UK and Europe. Following his general surgical training, he trained in hepatobiliary, pancreatic and transplant surgery, and developed a special interest in kidney and pancreas transplantation and living donation. He is also part of a specialist team treating more than 600 dialysis patients, with a particular interest in advanced dialysis access procedures, including innovative techniques such as Hero grafts and laparoscopic peritoneal dialysis.
Nikolaos has a strong interest in surgical training and education and is an Honorary Senior Lecturer at King’s College London.
Pancreas transplantation, complex vascular access for haemodialysis, laparoscopic donor nephrectomy, simultaneous liver-kidney transplantation.
- Kidney transplantation
- Pancreas transplantation
- Laparoscopic donor nephrectomy
- Vascular access
- Laparoscopic peritoneal dialysis catheter insertion
- 2003: MD, University of Athens
- 2011: PhD, University of Athens
- 2011: General Surgery CCT, University of Athens
- 2013: Hepatobiliary, Pancreatic and Transplant Surgery Fellow – Freeman Hospital, Newcastle upon Tyne
- 2014: Transplant Surgery Fellow, Guy’s Hospital, London
Membership of professional bodies
- British Transplantation Society
- European Society for Organ Transplantation
- The Transplantation Society
- International Pancreas and Islet Transplant Association