Mr Nicos Kessaris
BSc, MBBS, MSc, FRCS(Eng)
Consultant Transplant Surgeon
Mr Nicos Kessaris is a Consultant Transplant Surgeon and Honorary Senior Lecturer at King’s College. He has been part of the organising committee of an annual Paediatric Transplant Symposium in London since 2015. He has also been teaching on the Live Donor Nephrectomy (LiDo) course in Rotterdam since 2016. He has been a UEMS examiner for Transplant Surgery since 2014. In 2018, along with two other colleagues, Nicos started the paediatric transplant programme in Serbia as part of a charitable initiative to increase paediatric transplantation.
In 2017, Nicos became a member of the EKITA board for two years. During this time, he was a member of the Scientific Committee for the 2019 European Society for Organ Transplantation (ESOT) meeting in Denmark. Currently, he is participating and co-creating an e-learning platform on Paediatric Transplantation at ESOT Transplant Live. In 2019, Nicos became an ESOT Councillor.
Surgical lead in paediatric kidney transplantation. Interested in robotic surgery, transplant outcomes including quality of life, surgical safety and checklists.
- Kidney transplantation
- Live donor nephrectomy
- Pancreas transplantation
- Paediatric kidney transplantation
- Vascular access surgery for adults and children
- Peritoneal dialysis access for adults and children
- General surgery for the renal patient
- Parathyroidectomy for the renal patient
- ABO and HLA incompatible transplantation
Mr Kessaris undertook his training in general surgery and transplantation in London and worked at St George’s Renal Transplant Unit as a consultant between 2007 and 2012. He became the Director of transplantation for the last two years and has successfully established the ABO and HLA incompatible transplant programs. He has been a consultant at Guy’s and Evelina London Children’s Hospital as well as an Honorary Consultant at Great Ormond Street Hospital since April 2012.
Membership of professional bodies
- Fellow of the Association of Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland
- Member of the British Medical Association
- Member of the British Hernia Society
- Member of the Vascular Access Society
- Member of the British Transplantation Society
- Member of the European Society for Organ Transplantation
- Member of The Transplantation Society
- Member of the American Society of Transplantation
- Member of the Paediatric Transplant Association