Find a consultant
Mr Jonathan Lucas
MB, BS FRCS (Eng) FRCS (Orth&Tr)
Consultant spinal surgeon
Mr Jonathan Lucas was appointed as consultant orthopaedic and spinal consultant to Guy’s and St Thomas’ Hospitals in 1999. Jonathan is lead clinician for spinal surgery at Guy’s and St Thomas’ and Evelina London Children’s Hospital, appointed in 2006.
Jonathan is a former chairman of AO SPINE UK. He is the editor of the New Aird’s Companion to Surgery and a contributor to five other books as chapter author, including Critical Care Medicine at a Glance, and French’s Index of Differential Diagnosis, an A-Z. He is also the author of more than 45 peer reviewed publications and presentations.
Management and surgery of paediatric and adult spinal deformity, management of spinal sepsis, tumours including metastatic disease of the spine, trauma and degenerative conditions of the spine.
- 1988: Qualified, St Thomas’ Hospital Medical School, London University
- 1992: FRCS(Eng) after basic surgical training on the St Bartholomew’s Hospital rotation
- 1998: FRCS(Orth&Tr) following higher surgical orthopaedic training on the South East Thames Orthopaedic Rotation
Specialist training in spinal surgery as a fellow at The Centre for Spinal Studies and Surgery at the Queen’s Medical Centre, Nottingham and as a British Orthopaedic Association travelling fellow to the USA, specialising in paediatric and adult deformity surgery.
Membership of professional bodies
- British Association of Spine Surgeons
- British Scoliosis Society
- European Spine Society
- North American Spine Society
- British Orthopaedic Association