Mr Ian Rodrigues
MBBS, BSc (Hons), PgCert, FRCS (Glasg), FRCOphth, FEBOS-glaucoma
Consultant ophthalmic surgeon and glaucoma specialist
Mr Ian Rodrigues is a consultant eye surgeon specialising in the treatment of cataract, glaucoma and general eye conditions and is a consultant at St Thomas’ Hospital.
Ian’s interests include healthcare policy, management and leadership. He has completed the Value Based Health Care Delivery Intensive Program at the Harvard Business School and has a Postgraduate Certificate in Medical Leadership. He has previously worked for the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE), supporting the development of a national guideline. He also worked for the International Consortium for Health Outcomes Measurement (ICHOM) where he developed an international set of standardised patient outcome measures for macular degeneration, which is one of the leading causes of blindness. He has worked as a specialist professional advisor for the Care Quality Commission (CQC) and is currently a member of the Professional Records Standards Body (PRSB) advisory board.
Ian has a passion for information technology and is a member of the OpenEyes Foundation Design Authority and Glaucoma Subspecialty Clinical Group as well as the Royal College of Ophthalmologists Informatics and Audit Sub-committee.
Ian is involved in teaching and training of medical students and junior ophthalmologists and is a member of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists microsurgical skills faculty and is an examiner for the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow.
Ian has a research interest in the surgical treatment of glaucoma and has over 25 peer reviewed publications. He has also authored national and international guidelines and regularly presents at international conferences and clinical educational sessions.
- Cataract surgery (phacoemulsification, intraocular lens implants)
- Laser eye treatments (capsulotomy, selective laser trabeculoplasty, iridotomy, cyclophotocoagulation)
- Glaucoma investigation, diagnosis, medical treatments
- Surgical treatments for glaucoma (trabeculectomy, tube implants, viscocanalostomy, iStent)
- General eye conditions (chalazion, blepharitis, dry eye disease, minor eyelid conditions)
Ian qualified in medicine from King’s College London in 2006 with a triple distinction and a first class Bachelors degrees prior to completing his ophthalmic specialist training in London, which included advanced specialist training in Glaucoma. He is one of the few ophthalmologists practicing in the UK who has also completed the Fellowship of the European Board of Ophthalmology Subspecialty Glaucoma Diploma.
Membership of professional bodies
- Fellow of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists, London
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons, Glasgow
- Fellow of the European Board of Ophthalmology
- Member of the American Academy of Ophthalmology International (AAO)
- Member of the European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons (ESCRS)
- Member of the United Kingdom and Eire Glaucoma Society (UKEGS)
- Member of the Medical Defence Union (MDU)
- General Medical Council (GMC) Specialist Registration