Mr Harry R F Powell
MB, BS, BSc, FRCS (ORL-HNS)
Consultant ENT surgeon
Harry Powell was a medical student in London at the United Medical and Dental Schools of Guy’s and St Thomas’. He undertook basic surgical training in Bristol, followed by ENT specialist training at these prestigious London teaching hospitals:
- The Royal National Throat, Nose and Ear
- Great Ormond Street
- The Royal Marsden.
He gained a breadth of experience treating children and adults with all ENT conditions.
Two and a half years of otology, cochlear implants, neuro-otology and skull base surgery at the Royal National Throat, Nose and Ear Hospital cemented his subspecialist interests.
Harry was awarded the Graham Fraser Memorial Fellowship and two Royal College of Surgeons grants for advanced surgical training in ear surgery and auditory implantation in Sydney, Australia, where he developed an interest in endoscopic ear surgery.
He returned to Guy’s and St Thomas’ for another year of fellowship training before being appointed as a consultant otologist and auditory implant surgeon in September 2016.
Hearing implants (cochlear, middle ear and bone anchored solutions), otology and neuro-otology (diagnosis and management of ear disease and peripheral balance disorders), microtia and atresia of the ear canal, and endoscopic ear surgery.
- Microsuction of the ears
- Diagnostic endoscopic examination of the nose, pharynx and larynx
- Intratympanic middle ear injections
- Grommet insertion
- Endoscopic balloon dilation of the Eustachian Tube
- Combined approach tympanomastoid surgery
- Revision mastoidectomy
- Cochlear Implantation
- 1997-2003: United Medical and Dental Schools of Guy’s and St Thomas’ Hospitals, London
- 2000: Intercalated BSc (Pharmacology)
- 2013: Award from the Colledge Family Memorial Fellowship Fund
- 2013: Award from the Ethicon Foundation Fund
- 2015: Alice Maud Hall Prize for the British Academic Conference in Otolaryngology
- 2015: Combined Universities temporal bone dissection prize
- 2016: Royal Society of Medicine, Otology section short papers prize
Membership of professional bodies
- General Medical Council
- Royal College of Surgeons of England
- British Society of Otology