Mr Harry Powell
MB, BS, BSc, FRCS (ORL-HNS)
Consultant ENT surgeon
Specialises in hearing implants, neuro-otology, endoscopic ear surgery.
Mr Harry Powell is a consultant ear, nose and throat surgeon who has worked as a consultant at Guy’s and St Thomas’ since 2016.
After studying at the United Medical and Dental Schools of Guy’s and St Thomas’, he undertook basic surgical training in Bristol, followed by ENT specialist training at The Royal National Throat, Nose and Ear, Great Ormond Street and The Royal Marsden hospitals.
Two and a half years of otology, cochlear implants, neuro-otology and skull base surgery at the Royal National Throat, Nose and Ear Hospital cemented his subspecialist interests.
Harry was awarded the Graham Fraser Memorial Fellowship and two Royal College of Surgeons grants for advanced surgical training in ear surgery and auditory implantation in Sydney, Australia, where he developed an interest in endoscopic ear surgery.
He returned to Guy’s and St Thomas’ for another year of fellowship training before being appointed as a consultant otologist and auditory implant surgeon in September 2016.
- Hearing loss.
- Ear infections/disease.
- Vertigo and balance problems.
- Peripheral balance disorders.
- Microtia and atresia of the ear canal.
- Hearing implants (cochlear, middle ear and bone anchored solutions).
- Microsuction of the ears.
- Diagnostic endoscopic examination of the nose, pharynx and larynx.
- Intratympanic middle ear injections.
- Grommet insertion.
- Endoscopic balloon dilation of the Eustachian Tube.
- Combined approach tympanomastoid surgery.
- Revision mastoidectomy.
Special/ research interests
Mr Harry Powell has a subspecialist interest in managing patients with ear and hearing problems and offers a full range of auditory implants for patients who cannot wear conventional hearing aids.
Membership of professional bodies
- General Medical Council.
- Royal College of Surgeons of England.
- British Society of Otology.
St Thomas’ hospital.