Mr Edmund Fitzgerald O’Connor is a fully qualified specialist plastic and reconstructive surgeon. He focuses on providing the highest quality of care to all his patients – putting patient safety, patient experience and patient outcomes first in all that he does.
Edmund studied psychology at the University of Edinburgh in 1997 after which he spent three years working in corporate finance for a major international investment bank. He choose a career change in 2004 and completed a medical degree at St Georges University of London with merit awards. He was one of only four appointed on the prestigious academic foundation programme in surgery in London and began his surgical training. Just four years later following nationwide applications, he was appointed 1st out of 275 candidates for plastic surgery training in London. During his plastic surgery training he spent time at Guy’s and St Thomas’ hospital, the Royal London hospital and the St Andrews centre for burns and plastic surgery in Chelmsford.
Following completion of his specialist plastic surgery training, Edmund undertook a reconstructive, aesthetic and microsurgery fellowship at The Royal Perth Hospital in Western Australia. He was then appointed as a consultant plastic surgeon at the Royal Perth Hospital before returning to London to help build a trauma reconstruction service for the South East London Kent and Medway SELKaM network.
Currently Edmund specializes in complex microsurgical reconstruction at Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust and King’s College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust. His practice covers breast reconstruction, hand injuries, post weight loss surgery and skin cancer and general plastic surgery.
Trauma reconstruction, microsurgery, lower limb trauma, bone infection, skin surgery, body contour surgery, cosmetic breast and abdominal surgery.
- Removal of moles, cysts, lipomas, warts, skin lesions
- Skin cancer
- Body contour surgery – abdominoplasty, high definition liposuction
- Scar revision
- Complex wound management – pressure sore care
- Bone infection
- Lower limb reconstruction
- Breast reconstruction
- Cosmetic surgery
- University of Edinburgh 2001 – Psychology
- St George’s University of London 2008 – MBBS Medicine
- Reconstructive Microsurgery fellowship – Perth Western, Australia 2017
Membership of professional bodies
- British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (BAAPS)
- British Association of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons (BAPRAS)
- General Medicine Council