Specialises in paediatric neonatal infant and adult congenital surgical cases.
Mr Conal Austin is a consultant cardiothoracic surgeon at Guy’s and St Thomas’ hospitals. He performs the full complement of paediatric neonatal infant and adult congenital surgical cases.
He qualified from Belfast University in 1986 before completing his cardiothoracic training at Belfast University between 1990 and 1995. He also trained at Royal Children’s Hospital, Melbourne in 1996 and Médecin chef de service hôpital Broussais, Paris in 1997.
He has worked at Guy’s and St Thomas’ hospitals since 1997.
- Hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy.
- Renal cell tumour with extensive inferior vena cavae involvement.
- Tumour extrication and ‘the cone repair’, for cases of Ebstein’s malformation of the tricuspid valve.
- Paediatric valvular conservative repairs.
- Paediatric cardiac surgery.
- Thoracic surgery.
- Heart bypass surgery.
- Coronary artery surgery.
- Valve repair or replacement.
- Atrial septal defects (ASD).
- Total arterial revascularisation.
- Mitral valve repair techniques.
- Minimal access paediatric cardiac repairs.
- intra-operative 3D echocardiography.
- Ross operations.
- Norwood procedures.
- Personalised external aortic root support (PEARS).
Special/ research interests
Mr Conal Austin has special interest in personalised external aortic root support (PEARS).
Membership of professional bodies
- General Medical Council (GMC).
St Thomas’ Hospital.