Find a consultant
Mr Andrea Bille
MD, PhD, FRCS
Consultant thoracic surgeon
Mr Andrea Bille is a consultant thoracic surgeon at Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust (appointed 2015) Trust and Honorary Senior Clinical Lecturer at King’s College University, London. He specialises in the treatment of thoracic conditions and treats benign and malignant thoracic disease performing minimally invasive surgery and robotic surgery for lung and mediastinal conditions.
Andrea was appointed as a consultant at the National Institute of Cancer in Milan (in 2012), focussing on surgical treatment of lung cancer, thoracic sarcoma and mediastinal tumours which require complex reconstruction.
He was awarded a PhD in 2015 following a three-year research programme on surgical treatment of mesothelioma. Pursuing his interest in surgical thoracic oncology, he undertook a clinical fellowship at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in 2014/15, the highest ranked oncological centre in the US. He was trained in minimally invasive technique for the treatment of thoracic malignancies and advance technique with complex reconstruction for extensive thoracic malignancies.
Andrea is involved in teaching of medical students and since 2016 has held an academic role at King’s College University as Honorary Lecturer in the Cancer division, focusing his research on mesothelioma, chest wall reconstruction and lung cancer.
He has published more than 80 scientific articles and given many presentations at national and international meetings, including the European Thoracic Meeting and the World Conference on Lung Cancer. He is the Associate Editor of the Thoracic section of the Tumori Journal, indexed on PubMed.
Surgery for malignant disease
- Lung cancer: early stage and locally advanced
- Lung metastasis (metastasectomy and limited resection)
- Chest wall tumour
- Malignant pleural mesothelioma – diagnostic and radical surgery (pleural biopsy and pleurectomy decortication)
- Thymoma – surgery and multimodality treatment
Surgery for benign disease
- Chest trauma and rib fractures
- Catamenial pneumothorax (primary and secondary)
- Interstitial lung disease (lung biopsy), pleural effusion
- Emphysema and lung volume reduction surgery
- Pectus deformities
- Rigid bronchoscopy for endobronchial tumour and benign disease
- Bronchial Stent
- 2005: Medical School at University of Turin
- 2011: University of Turin and Guy’s Hospital
- 2016: Clinical fellowship at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
Membership of professional bodies
- International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer (IASLC)
- European Society of Thoracic Surgeons (ESTS)
- International Thymic Malignancies Interest Group (ITMIG)
- General Medical Council
- British Medical Association
- The Royal College of Radiologists
- Royal College of Physicians