Find a consultant
Mr Alastair Fry
BDS, MFDS, MBBS, MRCS, FRCS
Consultant oral and maxillofacial surgeon
Alastair Fry is widely recognised both nationally and internationally as a leading Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon. Alastair has a special interest in mouth and head and neck cancer and is the current chair of the Guys Head and Neck Multidisciplinary Team, one of the biggest of its kind in the UK. Alastair treats a large number of patients with cancers and “precancerous” lesions and is a leading microvascular reconstructive surgeon, receiving referrals from right across the UK and further afield.
Alastair has presented at international conferences on jaw surgery and microsurgical reconstruction, his papers have been published in leading peer reviewed journals and he has received a national prize from the British Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons.
Alastair completed a Royal College of surgeons research fellowship investigating mechanisms of early invasion in mouth cancers and was successful in gaining a National Fellowship in Head and Neck Surgery receiving advanced training from ENT, Plastics and Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons.
Alastair is the lead trainer at Guys and St Thomas for specialty training in Oral and Maxillofacial surgeon in addition to providing training for colleagues from ENT and Plastics.
Head and neck surgery, reconstruction, and a practice that includes wisdom tooth surgery, implants, and salivary gland surgery.
Early diagnosis and minimally invasive management of oral cancers and pre-cancer with the use of laser surgery.
- Impacted/infected wisdom teeth removal
- Broken teeth/retained root removal
- Ulcers – biopsies/excisions
- Biopsies of discoloured patches or white lesions in mouth
- Head and neck cancer and reconstruction
- Head and neck trauma
- Treatment for sore or burning mouth and tongue
- Treatment for persistent sore throat
- Skin lesions on head and neck
- Enlarged lymph nodes
- Neck lumps and bumps
- Mucocelle removal
- Excision of lesion of lip
- 2003: BDS (Sheffield University)
- 2005: MFDS, Royal College of Surgeons (England)
- 2008: MBBS with Distinction (Newcastle University)
- 2009: MRCS, Royal College of Surgeons (England)
- 2014: FRCS Part 1
- 2014: FRCS Part 2
Membership of professional bodies
- General Medical Council (GMC)
- British Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons (BAOMS)
- British Association of Head & Neck Oncologists (BAHNO)