Find a consultant
Dr Michail Kokkinakis
PhD, PgCert(distinction), StExMd, MRCSEd, TMS(Tr&Orth)
Consultant children’s orthopaedic surgeon
Michail Kokkinakis is a consultant children’s orthopaedic surgeon with a particular interest in adolescent sports injuries, complex hip surgery, hip and knee arthroscopic surgery, management of children with neuromuscular problems, complex feet pathologies and paediatric trauma.
He is the first to have performed a hip arthroscopy on an adolescent patient at Evelina London Children’s Hospital in 2015. He has since set up and is leading on a newly developed, state-of-the-art hip and knee arthroscopic service for children and adolescents at Evelina London.
A large aspect of his practice includes management and application of modern strategies to deal with children and adolescents with neuromuscular problems, including cerebral palsy. He has a subspecialty interest in complex reconstructions of displaced hips and single event multi-level surgery.
He is the co-chair of the Cerebral Palsy Integrated Pathway for the South East of England (CPIPSE).
Complex paediatric and adolescent hip problems, knee pathologies, bone and joint infections.
- Adolescent sports injuries
- Knee and hip arthroscopic surgery
- Surgery for complex hip deformities
- Femoro-acetabular impingement
- Perthes disease
- Dysplasia of the Hip (DDH)
- Slipped Upper Femoral Epiphysis (SUFE)
- Cerebral palsy
- Management of children with neuromuscular problems
- Complex feet deformities
- Guided growth
- Skeletal dysplasia
- Paediatric trauma
- 1997-2003: Medical School of Johann Wolfgang Goethe University in Frankfurt, Germany 2003-2012: Surgical and specialist orthopaedic training in the UK and Greece
- 2005: PhD in orthopaedics, the Johann Wolfgang Goethe University in Frankfurt, Germany. Thesis on ‘Autologous bone and cartilage transplantation in chronic defects of the knee and ankle joints’.
- 2012-13: Fellowship training in general paediatric trauma and orthopaedics, The Royal Hospital for Sick Children in Glasgow
- 2013-14: Fellowship subspecialty training in the management of children with neuromuscular problems, the Evelina London Children’s Hospital
- 2014: Post Graduate Certificate (distinction) in leading clinical innovation and improving performance in health care, the University of Teesside
- 2014-15: Fellowship subspecialty training in complex adolescent hip surgery, the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in Stanmore
Membership of professional bodies
- British Society for Children’s Orthopaedic Surgery
- British Society for Surgery in Cerebral Palsy
- European Paediatric Orthopaedic Society
- General Medical Council
|Language(s)||English, Greek, German|