Dr Mark R Tyrrell
PhD, MBBCh(Wits), DIC, FRCS(Engl.), FRCSEd, FRCS(Gen)
Consultant vascular surgeon
Mark Tyrrell’s first consultant appointment was in Royal Tunbridge Wells (1996), where he established and ran a successful single-handed specialist vascular unit offering the full range of open arterial and venous surgery in the setting of a District General Hospital.
Due to NHS reorganisations, he moved to the King’s College Hospital Vascular Unit in 2006, and then St Thomas’ in 2012.
Mark has particular interests in complex aortic (open and endovascular) and carotid surgery.
- Full range of open and endovascular arterial surgery – carotid endarterectomy
- Aortic surgery
- Lower limb open bypass surgery
- Sub-specialty expertise in spinal exposure for anterior spinal surgery
- Open and endovenous varicose vein surgery
- 1984: Qualified
- 1985: Pre-registration training in the Republic of South Africa before moving to the UK
- 1995: Specialist training in general and vascular surgery. Fellowships, degrees and diplomas were acquired during this period
Membership of professional bodies
- Fellow Royal Colleges of Surgeons (England and Edinburgh)
- Medical and Dental Defence Union of Scotland
- British Medical Association
- General Medical Council