As well as being a consultant gynaecologist, Julia Kopeika is a subspecialist in reproductive medicine and surgery.
She graduated from medical school in 1998 with the top grade in her class and did her postgraduate training in obstetrics and gynaecology in the UK. She completed the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (RCOG) accredited subspecialty in reproductive medicine and surgery at Guy’s and St Thomas’, where she was appointed as a consultant.
Julia has achieved a PhD in reproductive biology and cryobiology at Bedford University in collaboration with the Cambridge Genetics Campus. Her novel research on freezing sperm, eggs and embryos has received several awards by international scientific societies.
In her medical practice, her peers comment on her attention to detail and commitment to patients with a holistic individualised approach. Julia will focus on offering you a treatment that is of proven scientific effectiveness, and also help you to feel at ease.
Her PhD in cryobiology (low temperature biology) and genetics allowed Julia to understand the process of ‘freezing’ eggs, sperm, and embryos – and become an expert in this field. She has also researched and published on fertility preservation for cancer patients, early pregnancy, and general IVF/ICSI.
Investigations and Treatments
- Fertility assessment
- Assessment of male factor sub fertility (including azoospermia)
- In vitro fertilisation (IVF)/ Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI)
- Fertility preservation (egg, embryo, ovarian tissue and sperm freezing)
- Surgical sperm retrieval
- Intra uterine insemination (IUI)
- Treatment for same sex couples
- Treatment for single women
- Ovulation induction
- Treatment with donor gametes
- Gynaecology scanning, including 3D
- HyCoSy (assessment of cavity and tubal patency)
- Hysteroscopic surgeries
- Assessment for recurrent miscarriages
- 1998: Doctorate of Medicine (MD)
- 2003: PhD
- 2008: Diploma of Faculty of Family Planning
- 2010: Member of Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists
- 2013: Specialist registry entry Obstetrics and Gynaecology, General Medical Council
- 2015: Subspecialty in reproductive medicine and surgery, RCOG
Membership of professional bodies
- Member of Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecology
- British Fertility Society
- European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology