Dr John Meenan treats patients with a broad range of problems ranging from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), bloating/gas, troublesome bowels and tummy pain, passing blood to concerns about bowel cancer risk and oesophageal acid-reflux.
John is keen to avoid unnecessary trips to the hospital and willing to communicate by email to follow up on results and reports. He will also avoid invasive tests where possible if a good alternative is available. If you are self-paying, or have limited insurance cover, John can highlight tests that can be done through your NHS family doctor.
John is recommended by BUPA’s Open referral service where >90% of patients say both the Consultant and Quality of Care was Very good/Excellent. John’s endoscopy results are independently audited every six months and have always been consistently above national standards. John has twice been awarded the prestigious Teachers Award by the American Endoscopy Society (ASGE) in 2007 and 2013.
John has particular interest in endoscopy, colonoscopy and the advanced technique of endoscopic ultrasound (EUS), which allows detailed views of all the organs around the stomach, including pancreas, whilst performing an endoscopy.
John has published research papers and text-books on topics including the immunology of IBD (PhD, University of Amsterdam), large bowel folate metabolism (MD, Trinity College, Dublin) and endoscopic ultrasound.
- Endoscopic Ultrasound
- Qualified with Honours at Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland (1986)
- Two Doctorates: a PhD in Immunology (Univ. Amsterdam) and an MD (Trinity College, Dublin) in Biochemistry
- Diploma in Statistics (Trinity College, Dublin)
- Trained in Gastroenterology at St. James’s Hospital, Ireland, (1989-1992), the Academic Medical Centre, Amsterdam (1992-1996) and at Guy’s and St. Thomas’ Hospital, London (1996-1999)
- Fellowships of Royal College of Physicians of England; Fellowship Royal College of Physicians of Ireland; Licentiate of Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland
Attachments at international centres in Japan, France and Germany as well as attending and presenting at international conferences and medical summits.
Membership of professional bodies
- British Society Gastroenterology
- Chairman of the UK/Ireland EUS Users Group
- International Committee of the American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (ASGE)