Dr Irfan Ahmed
MBBS, BSc, MRCP, FRCR
Consultant interventional and diagnostic radiologist
Specialises in the treatment of uterine fibroids, benign prostatic hyperplasia, vascular malformations and arteriovenous fistulas.
Dr Irfan Ahmed is a consultant interventional and diagnostic radiologist at Guy’s and St Thomas’. He has been a consultant for over 10 years and performs a wide variety of minimally invasive interventional radiological procedures.
He graduated from Guy’s, King’s and St Thomas’ Medical School in 2000, before embarking on a career in radiology. He underwent his specialist registrar training at Guy’s and St Thomas’ hospitals followed by a fellowship in interventional radiology at St Bartholomew’s and The Royal London Hospitals.
In addition to his clinical responsibilities Irfan is a clinical and educational supervisor for radiology trainees and has been an invited speaker at various national and international conferences.
- Uterine fibroids.
- Benign prostatic hyperplasia.
- Vascular malformations.
- Arteriovenous fistulas.
- Biliary (bile production, storage, and secretion) conditions.
- Central venous access including Hickman and Port-a-cath line placement.
- Uterine artery embolisation.
- Prostate embolisation.
- Venous interventions.
- Biliary interventions.
- Gastrointestinal stenting.
- Vascular malformation treatment.
Special/ research interests
Irfan has a special interest in uterine artery and prostate artery embolisation as well as peripheral vascular interventions. He offers peripheral and visceral arterial angioplasty and stenting, endovascular aneurysm repair and image-guided biopsy and drainage procedures. Irfan also does regular ultrasound, CT and MRI reporting.
Membership of professional bodies
- Fellow of the Royal College of Radiologists.
- Member of British Society of Interventional Radiologists.
- Member of CIRSE.
- Membership of the Royal Colleges of Physicians of the United Kingdom.
St. Thomas’ Hospital.