Find a consultant
Dr Helen A Brough
MA (Hons), MSc (Allergy), PhD, MB, BS, FRCPCH
Consultant in paediatric allergy
Helen is a consultant in paediatric allergy, and is head of service for the largest
children’s allergy service in the UK, at Evelina London Children’s Hospital. She is also certified by the European Academy of Allergology and Clinical Immunology (EAACI) as a European paediatric allergist, a title that only 15 other doctors hold in the UK.
In her NHS service, Helen runs general allergy clinics, the joint specialist allergy/ respiratory service, with consultant respiratory paediatricians and ran the joint specialist allergy/ gastroenterology service with consultant paediatric gastroenterologists.
She set up community children’s allergy services, and an allergy transition service for teenagers, to empower them to better manage their allergies. She was awarded ‘Health Professional of the Year’ runner up in 2010 by Coeliac UK.
She is leading the multicentre European Pronuts study and co-authored the LEAP (Learning Early About Peanut) study. Helen has published a textbook on paediatrics, published original research on the way children become allergic to peanut and new biomarkers for peanut allergy. She was awarded the BSACI Barry Kay Award, for research in paediatric allergy, in 2013.
Helen regularly presents research, and the latest developments in allergy, at national and international seminars and conventions. She’s an honorary senior lecturer at King’s College London.
- Prevention, diagnosis and management of food allergy, atopic eczema, allergic asthma, allergic rhinitis (hayfever), immunotherapy to environmental allergens (eg house dust mite, pollens, pet dander), allergic conjunctivitis, vernal keratoconjunctivitis, sinusitis, eosinophilic eosophagitis, eosinophilic gastrointestinal disease, insect sting and latex allergy
- Actively involved in research to prevent, diagnose and treat food allergy
Clinical and research interests are in food allergy prevention, diagnosis and treatment, immunotherapy, asthma, eosinophilic gastrointestinal disorders and eczema.
- Graduated from King’s College, Cambridge University, with double honours in Medicine and Experimental Psychology
- Completed clinic training at the Royal Free and University College London Medical School
- Trained in paediatrics in London. Awarded one of the few recognised higher specialist training posts in paediatric allergy and immunology, as the MADEL clinical lecturer. She trained in some of the UK’s leading teaching hospitals: Guy’s and St Thomas’, King’s College, and Great Ormond Street.
Helen completed an MSc in Allergy, gaining a distinction at the University of Southampton. She was awarded a PhD in determining routes of developing peanut allergy at King’s College London University.
Membership of professional bodies
- British Society of Allergy and Clinical Immunology Standards of Care
- European Academy of Allergology and Clinical Immunology
|Language(s)||English, French, Spanish, German|