Find a consultant
Dr Gurleen Sharland
MBBS, BSc, MD, FRCP, FACC
Professor of fetal cardiology
Gurleen Sharland has vast experience in diagnosing and managing fetal cardiac abnormalities and is recognised internationally as a leading expert in the field.
Nationally, she chaired the group on behalf of the British Congenital Cardiac Association to develop the fetal cardiology standards. She was a key member of the Fetal Anomaly Screening Programme, Cardiac Protocol Committee. She was also instrumental in developing fetal cardiac protocol of the national screening pathway.
Gurleen was a member of the London Deanery Specialist Training Committee, paediatric cardiology and Royal College Specialist Advisory Committee (SAC) paediatric cardiology. She contributed to the development of the curriculum for paediatric cardiology and wrote the fetal cardiology component of the national curriculum.
From 2013 to 2016, Gurleen was a member and vice-chair of the Clinical Reference Group (CRG) for congenital heart disease. She also established and chaired the National Fetal Cardiology Group – the first national professional group for fetal cardiologists in UK.
Gurleen’s international experience includes:
- appointed the first woman president of the Association European Paediatric and Congenital Cardiology (AEPC) from 2016-19.
- founder member of the Fetal Cardiology Working Group of AEPC and chairman of its working group from 1999 to 2003.
- member of the Education Committee AEPC (from 2010-16) and wrote recommendations for training in basic paediatric cardiology for the association and developing a diploma.
- visiting expert for Singapore Ministry of Health in 2016 as part of Health Manpower Development Plan.
A faculty member of many courses, workshops, symposia and conferences internationally, Gurleen has taught and trained many fetal cardiologists around the world.
Clinical research covering diagnosis, natural history, progression, associations, management and outcome of fetal congenital heart disease. Published widely in peer-reviewed journals (112 papers) and written three textbooks, the latest of which is a sole author textbook of fetal cardiology published in 2013.
- Fetal echocardiography
- 1982: Graduated from King’s College/King’s College Hospital Medical School, London
- Trained in fetal and paediatric cardiology at Guy’s Hospital
- 1993: Appointed consultant in fetal cardiology at Guy’s Hospital
Membership of professional bodies
- Full registration with General Medical Council
- Medical Protection Society
- British Cardiac Society
- Association of European Paediatric Cardiologists
- British Congenital Cardiac Association