Dr Clive B Archer
BSc (Hons), MB BS, MRCP (UK), MD (Lond), PhD, MRCS (Engl), FRCP (Lond), FRCP (Edin), FRCP (Glasg), PG Cert, PG Diploma & MSc in Medical Education, LLM
Dr Clive Archer is a highly qualified and experienced consultant dermatologist at the St John’s Institute of Dermatology at Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust and honorary senior clinical lecturer at King’s College London (KCL). Previously, he was consultant dermatologist and clinical lead for dermatology at the University Hospitals Bristol NHS Foundation Trust and honorary clinical senior lecturer at the University of Bristol.
He is Past Academic Vice President of the British Association of Dermatologists and Past President of the Royal Society of Medicine Section of Dermatology. As an MRCP Examiner, he was also Chair of the Royal College of Physicians Joint Specialty Committee for Dermatology, and is a Member of the British Society of Dermatological Surgery and Fellow of the American Academy of Dermatology.
Clive has a passionate interest in the teaching of medical students, postgraduate students and GPs and has written over 200 publications, including four books.
A keen sportsman (as a London University Purple and Oxford University Blue for Association Football), these days playing tennis, real tennis (Queen’s Club) and golf. Clive is the current University of London Warden of the Purples, a Purple being awarded to students of outstanding ability in their particular sport.
General dermatology, including all medical and surgical dermatology; acne, eczema, contact dermatitis, psoriasis, urticaria; benign and malignant skin lesions, e.g. moles, seborrhoeic and viral warts, solar keratoses, melanoma and non-melanoma skin cancers.
Clive’s research interests include the immuno-pharmacological aspects of atopic dermatitis and psoriasis (M.D.), the interaction between inflammatory mediators and cytokines (PhD) and the epidemiology of melanoma and non-melanoma skin cancer.
- Surgical excision of benign lesions and skin cancers
- Shave excision of ‘Nanny McPhee’ moles
- Curettage and cautery of seborrhoeic keratoses, liquid nitrogen cryotherapy of sun-induced or age-related keratosis, viral warts, verrucae
- 1978: Undergraduate studies at Guy’s Hospital Medical School, University of London and Keble College, Oxford University
- General Medicine at Guy’s Hospital, and University College Hospital, London
- Dermatology at Guy’s Hospital and the St John’s Hospital for Diseases of the Skin/ Postgraduate Institute of Dermatology, University of London, and the Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon, USA
Membership of professional bodies
- General Medical Council
- British Association of Dermatologists
- British Society of Dermatological Surgery
- American Academy of Dermatology
- British Medical Association
- British Pharmacological Society
- Royal College of Physicians (London, Edinburgh & Glasgow)
- Royal Society of Medicine